Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Sexy

by Joyce Carol Oates

~Sixteen-year-old Darren Flynn, a popular, good-looking high school athlete who lacks self-confidence, learns that his jock friends are hatching a revenge act against their English teacher for failing a member of the swim team. ~

Oh man. This is gonna be a long one. I'm only on page 19 and I feel as if I've suddenly developed Attention Deficit Disorder. And what is up with the writing? Is Ms. Oates above verbs? I don't care if it's supposed to be a stream-of-consciousness type thing; I have to hide my red pens to keep from correcting it.

Update: I won't be finishing this one. I don't like it at all. The phrasing is halting and awkward to me. The man character (Darren?) is insipid, pathetic and stupid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home