Monday, April 18, 2005

Uglies

by Scott Westerfeld

~In Tally's world, a 16th birthday brings an operation, transforming one from a repellent Ugly to an attractive Pretty. Turning Pretty is all Tally has ever wanted. Her friend Shay would rather risk life on the outside. When Shay runs away, Tally must make a terrible choice. ~

I love you, Scott Westerfeld for bringing us the goodness that is the Midnighters series but does this story really need to be a trilogy? Throw another 30 pages in there for a resolution and I would have been satisfied.

Let's see... this is futurist science fiction with your usual allotment of futuristic gadgets and stuff. My biggest complaint is that I was annoyed with Tally lying through the majority of the book or, at the very least, that she couldn’t come up with better lies. Also, I feel like I can predict the basic events of the next two books. That can't be good.

Still, Uglies does raise interesting questions for discussion. Are people really that obsessed with beauty that they believe it would solve society's problems? How far are we from this culture that teaches people from a very young age that they are not attractive but COULD be? Where the hell did David's mother get the ingredients for that magic lesion-healing pill?

Overall this book has good pacing and pure entertainment value. It's a decent premise with some big flaws. Maybe if he finished one trilogy before starting another he could have tightened up this plot.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're wrong. I just finished the Pretties in uncorrected proofs. It didn't go at all how I figured it might. And it's much much better than the Uglies and I loved Uglies.

That makes it a pattern. Midnighters 2 is better than Midnighters 1. The Pretties is better than the Uglies.

Sunday, May 01, 2005 11:46:00 AM  
Blogger Dex said...

I'm wrong? How are you so sure of that? I didn't actually say what I thought was going to happen. Maybe I'll be dead on. Maybe not.

I can't wait to get my hands on a Pretties ARC.

Also, please sign your posts.

Monday, May 02, 2005 11:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home