Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Magic or Madness

by Justine Larbalestier

~From the Sydney, Australia home of a grandmother she believes is a witch, fifteen-year-old Reason Cansino is magically transported to New York City, where she discovers that friends and foes can be hard to distinguish. ~

There is an interesting premise here. While there have been plenty of books with magic as a central theme, this one felt unique. That isn't an easy thing to do.

One of the books greatest strengths, unfortunately, is also its greatest shortcoming. The level of suspense and mystery and the length for which is maintained is nearly masterful. The author managed to leave me in the dark for nearly half of the book yet still keep my interest. Until the halfway point I really didn't know WHAT was going on but I did feel that I would know soon and it would be worth it. The clues were subtle, something I appreciate. The second half is spent trying to figure out the who, why and how of it all. There were no big surprises, only more detail. Because most of the story is clouded with mystery, there is very little time spent on resolution. What about tying up loose-ends? What about my unanswered questions? Where is the payoff, Larbalestier? It certainly wasn't in the last few pages of this book, that's for sure.

I hate reading a book with such promise only to put it down at the end and feel nothing but disappointment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home